If (and that’s a big ‘if’) your organization is tracking data lineage, you probably realize its importance when it comes to:
- Accumulating and delivering insights into the data journey across the business
- Tracking and assessing changes in attributes and rules
- Capturing all data sources for migration initiatives
- Providing data provenance to demonstrate regulatory compliance
- Ensuring data integrity to build confidence in business users
Data lineage also helps you understand how your business systems interact with and curate data. This empowers leaders such as CDOs to assess enterprise data changes more efficiently to support decision-making and regulatory compliance across the organization.
By understanding how information travels throughout your enterprise and its data ecosystem, business and data leaders can learn how it transforms meaning and value along the way – and make any needed adjustments and improvements.
While the business benefits are compelling, the problem with data lineage is that it’s still painfully arduous, time-consuming, and error-prone, especially when it comes to performing root cause analysis. Adding to the burden is the sheer Volume, Velocity, and Variety of data coming and going from a digital ecosystem of connected clouds, systems, devices, channels, and so on.
At this point, you may be wondering if it’s even possible to track information across a maze of users, databases, systems, data fabrics, pipelines, etc. After all, the data is constantly moving – and morphing. Tracking it manually – let alone capturing and analyzing it – would require an army of data specialists and IT staff. So too often the solution is to track only compliance- or governance-related data. Or someone in IT may be tracking data for migration purposes.
Business users, it’s not you! Traditional data lineage tools, rules, and solutions remain highly technical. And even if you master them, you’re going to expend considerable time and effort to harvest a mix of useful and irrelevant data.
So back you go to your analytics tools, but without contextual information, you’re flying blind. This is why business users still depend on technology teams to provide the data lineage information needed for analysis.
What if all the Business Users in the organization could have access to a simple UI and dashboard to access automatically tracked and organized data lineage content to answer questions like:
- Can I detect data problems by performing root cause analysis on my own?
- Can I access historical data lineage at specific stages of the data journey?
- Which data lineage tools can deliver business value without waiting on IT? And are they business user-friendly?
An automated data lineage solution could finally democratize data lineage so business users could extract insights from automatically captured metadata across the entire data journey- from origin and feed to rules and attributes, to its final destination. And it should let you dig deeper at any point along the way, right? Let’s call this the ‘BusinessFirst’ approach.
The data engineers at Xoriant have answered the challenge with an automated, end-to-end lineage framework you can discover in our introductory BusinessFirst Data Lineage
The solution is built as an API that can be called to capture each event where the data changes along with relevant information (metadata) used to render the lineage.
- Functional Data Lineage – A business-friendly view of data flow information at the feed and attribute level.
- Interface for Traceability – Easy-to-use audit trail for transactions when there is an approved change in the attribute value.
- Lineage Framework – In-house API that captures data change events along with meta-data in real-time.