Author: Prachi Grover
Publish Date: July 17, 2019
The significance of data has grown over a period of time. Data is a fuel to an organization and manipulation with data requires a greater skill. Many businesses and organizations have been accumulating large stock of it so that it could be used for later. Poor data management can hurt Organizations. Businesses are growing essentially as new technologies and software are adopted for the better data management. All this indicates that industry’s direction is moving towards cloud.
Cloud data management is a better way to manage data over cloud platforms. Data stored in the cloud maintains data integrity and security by applying some norms to it. It keeps the backup of data if some critical data is deleted accidentally or deliberately by someone from the database.
Major benefits of effective Cloud Data Management
- Cost Savings: Cloud services are affordable not just for large businesses but for smaller businesses also. It saves infrastructure costs as well as capital costs with no application requirements.
- Disaster Recovery: Downtime in the services leads to loss of productivity and revenue whereas; Cloud-based services give access of quick recovery of data for all kinds of emergency situations.
- Competitive Edge: Cloud computing gives strategic advantages to business that is adaptive to cloud over who are still using traditional methods. It delivers considerable business benefits, by incurring less cost and saving of time.
With many advantages come the drawbacks as well;
The major drawbacks of cloud computing is Downtime and Limited Control. Cloud based services require proper internet connection. If connection is slow or not working, then data, server and application can’t be accessed. It costs much higher to the businesses. It damages its brand value and causes loss of customers.
Cloud Data Management Strategy
- Resting Data: It’s necessary to ensure that the data stored in the cloud is encrypted. No hacker could decipher the data if it is encrypted all the time.
- Accessing Data: Employees must have access of data over cloud, but access must be controlled. Any person requesting data access must be authenticated and every data transaction should be recorded for auditing purpose.
- Data in Transit: It’s important to create a safe and encrypted tunnel between the authenticated user and the device and data using by them. Make sure the data is encrypted so that no other party could read it.
- Arriving Data: Data integrity must be there when data is arrived at its destination. Integrity of data reduces the risk of any kind of breach.
- Sustainable Backup and Recovery: Periodic backup and recovery of data is vital for any organization or businesses.
Cloud Data Management has gained universal use over the last few years. Organizations are looking to embrace Cloud Data Management. Society is transforming into the digital 21st century. There is a global race for Digital Adoption. Cloud computing has emerged as a successful example of computing data services and has transformed the way of using computing infrastructure.